Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ramblings--20090421

CHBC Ramblings
Tuesday, April 21, 2009

----------------

Note:
I have just started a weekly email called CHBC Ramblings and am posting it to my blog so it will actually have something on it these days! If you get the email, you don't need to read this. If you happen across it and would like to receive it each week in your email inbox, click on my profile, send me an email from there, and I will add you to the list! Since this is a weekly offering, I am sure that there will be some repeated items from one week to the next. Today's is my second email.

----------------

Hi! I received a lot of good feedback from my first CHBC Ramblings. Everyone who responded (about 20 of you out of the 110 that I sent out) liked the idea, and many were very excited about the opportunity to know what is going on, especially when someone misses a week. In fact, some who received it have been out because of health issues for several weeks and said that it gave them a connection with what is going on.

Last week I got this out on Friday, but I hope to get it out most weeks on Monday or Tuesday, while the past Sunday is fresh on my mind.

The Completion of the GOSPEL OF JOHN
We came to the completion of our study of the Gospel of John this past Sunday as we studied one of my favorite passages: when Jesus let Peter know he needed to follow the plan He had for him no matter what others chose to do and no matter if it was a harder mission than others were given. Too many times we compare our lives with that of others instead of comparing our lives to what we could and should be! I can always find someone who makes my life look absolutely wonderful in comparison! But that is not what I am called to do—and it is not what you are called to do. We are called to compare our lives to the mission Jesus gives us. He says to each of us, “You must follow Me.”

If I counted correctly, that was my 45th sermon in the series, and it took (obviously) about a year. I hope the series helped you to know Jesus in a more intimate way. If you don’t have a Bible reading schedule right now, why not take the next month to read through John again on your own?

By the way, we had 187 in Worship this past week. I think by the fall, if we continue to reach out, we can start averaging about 200. How exciting it will be as we continue to see God revitatilize His church here! (And Mickey Carlton tells me that our Sunday School enrollment has crept back over 300. Keep us the good work.)
This Sunday: THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT
When I was in college, I began to memorize Scripture, and I got in the habit of memorizing passages rather than individual verses. My senior year, I began memorizing the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5, 6, and 7 so I could meditate on it. I remember the first time I considered sharing it as a “message.” I was asked to speak to a youth group, and I wondered how quoting it would come across. I had another Bible study written out in case I chickened out, but at the last minute I took a deep breath and began, “Blessed are the poor in spirit…” (No, I wasn’t in biblical garb on that first occasion.) Just as the people were amazed at Jesus’ teaching, I was amazed at the reaction! I discovered from them (and many others over the years) that to read the message is different from hearing it. (And that’s why I ask you NOT to open your Bibles during it. The whole reason for doing it is so that we can experience the sermon the way if was delivered, not to show off a word for word memorization.

This Sunday, April 26, I have been requested to repeat the presentation of the Sermon on the Mount. If you know people who have not experienced this, invite them to come.

On Sunday night, our Atlanta Metro Baptist Association will hold our 101st Annual Meeting, and I will be attending it. Steve Powell, our Minister of Senior Adults, will lead the evening service at 5:30. Last week, we had a really great group on Sunday night for our informal service. I invite you to join Steve this Sunday evening. Of course, there is choir for children and the Men’s Fellowship as well.
UPCOMING
The following week (May 3), I will bring you a message on ministering to others in times of tragedy. Often, we just don’t know what to say or do during those times. Let’s see what we can learn together, because God wants each of us to minister to others in times of trouble.

Also, our children’s choir (His Kids), who sang so well for us last Sunday morning, will lead the evening worship on May 3.

I will deliver a FAMILY SERIES starting on Mother’s Day (May 10) and ending on Father’s Day (June 21).

A VISION BANQUET is scheduled for Sunday night, May 17, at 5:30. More details will come, but please put it on your calendar now. It will be “pot luck,” so prepare your—I mean my—favorite dishes to bring with you, and I think you will enjoy the time. The May edition of the Courier will have more information when it comes out soon.

VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL will have a different look this year: Sunday through Wednesday EVENING, May 31-June 3. And classes will not only be offered for children but for YOUTH and ADULTS as well!
LAST CALL for MISSION TRIP!
Our Mission Trip to Hurley, New York is July 18-25 and is all construction-oriented this time. Your cost is $250, and that will be match by the church through our Legacy of Faith, Hope, and Love Missions Fund. Call Howard at 404.634.6231 or email him at howard@clairmonthills.org TODAY.

It’s Getting WARMER…
And that means it is time to turn ON the Air Conditioning. This means we cannot turn the heat on again until we change over again in the fall. So if we have another cold day, dress warmly.

That’s enough RAMBLING for today. I hope to see you Sunday with your Bible in one hand and with a guest holding the other. As I said last week, I am sure that I will be experiementing with the length and format of this for the next several weeks. Your feedback is welcome. Again, if you don’t want to receive it, simply reply with the word UNSUBSCRIBE.

I am excited to be here and to watch what God is doing. In fact, I went back through and took out most of my exclamation points so I wouldn’t have too many. But the fact I had so many shows me to me how excited I really am.
I love being in Atlanta at Clairmont Hills Baptist Church!
(I left that one in.)

Fred O. Pitts, Pastor
Clairmont Hills Baptist Church
1995 Clairmont Road
Decatur, GA 30033
404.634.6231 Office
404.634.6062 Fax
www.clairmonthills.org

No comments: