Friday, April 17, 2009

Ramblings--20090417

I have not proven to be much of a blogger, but I decided today (after thinking about it for three months!) to send out a weekly email blast to members and friends of our church. Since some may not be on the list who stumble across the blog, I thought I would cut and paste it here. After all, my ramblings really will be a blog of sorts...

Here, then, is the first...

Friday, April 17, 2009

Dear Members and Friends of Clairmont Hills Baptist Church,

I have been thinking of a way to keep people informed about what is happening week to week at Clairmont Hills Baptist Church, and I have decided to try an email each week for a while to see how effective it is. To call it an email newsletter would be going too far. It will really be some ramblings I have, and so that’s what I decided to call it—CHBC Ramblings. (For those of you familiar with a certain school with which I have an affinity, it also fits in nicely from that point of view.)

If you have no interest in receiving this each week (and get tired of hitting the delete button), simply reply and tell me to “unsubscribe” you, and it will be done! I have no interest in sending you something you don’t want to receive. On the other hand, if after a few weeks, you like it and know others who might, tell them to let me know and I will add them to the list. Enough of the intro…let’s get to the Ramlings…

HOLY WEEK

What a wonderful time we had during one the most special seasons of the years for those who follow Jesus. Steve Powell started us off by preaching on Palm Sunday, and Pete Shults, the pastor of the church we partner with in Hurley, New York (CrossPoint Fellowship), also gave an update on the ministry there. We went from there with Good Friday Service, the Annual Egg Hunt, and Resurrection Sunday!

GOOD FRIDAY SERVICE

While the tornado watch undoubtedly kept some people away (and I understand!), those who attended once again affirmed the meaning of this special annual service. In fact, the weather reminded me that on the day Jesus was crucified, the sun refused to shine and darkness came over the land. The thunderstorms were a great enhancement to the mood of the day. I was told we had over 50 at the service, and it was moving as we celebrated communion, sang songs, and participated in Scripture. In fact, most of this year’s service was a dramatic reading of the Scripture telling the events of the Passover through the death and burial of Jesus. If you did not attend this year, please make a mental note now for next year!

EGG HUNT

Wow! We had about 200 people at the Egg Hunt, by far the most in my five years at CHBC! We had put out many more yard signs this year, and getting the word out brought the people out! Many of the first time guests were internationals. Besides all the fun of the “bounce house” (provided by Oak Grove Market once again) and the booths with games and activities and the lunch and the hunt itself, we had two incredible opportunities: first, to come face to face with people in our community to meet them and greet them and show them that we love our neighbors, and second, I had the joy of telling the children one of the stories that Jesus told—the one about the loving Father and the runaway son! We will take the information we received from families and follow up by sending a special invitation to our church and to Vacation Bible School.

RESURRECTION SUNDAY

The highlight of my week was the celebration of the risen Lord! Starting the service where the Good Friday service left off always heightens the joy for me. We also had a great baptismal celebration for Kimether Barlow, one of our young adults, and she had many family and friends join us for the day—most of them from out of state! (She shared with me later than some of them voiced their intentions to reconnect with the Lord, the Bible, and a church after spending time with Kimether and worshiping with us!) Taking the message from John 20, I had the opportunity to encourage everyone, with the words of Jesus, to “Stop Doubting…and Believe!” We had 248 in worship attendance! (Our average right now is probably about 170.) Many were new and several expressed on their Communication Cards the desire to learn more about the Lord and/or our church. More than any numbers, though, I think we had a great time of worship, and I base that on comments I received, not by my own biased opinion.

UPCOMING

This Sunday, April 19, I will complete my series of about a year through the gospel of John as we look at John 21. I have entitled the message, “Epilogue: Now What?” Even though Jesus had been raised, we see the disciples out fishing. Were they unsure as to what they were to do? Regardless, Jesus appears and gives some words that were not just applicable to them but also helps us know what we are to do after we meet the risen Christ through faith. In the evening service at 5:30, I will follow up with a message giving some insights as to how we learn to conclude God’s will for our lives.

Next Sunday, April 26, I have been requested to repeat the presentation of the Sermon on the Mount. If you know people who have not experienced this, invite them to come. And don’t open your Bible during it! (That’s about the only time you will EVER hear me say that!) The whole reason for doing it is so that we can experience the sermon the way it was delivered, not to show off any memorization!

I will deliver a FAMILY SERIES starting on Mother’s Day (May 10) and ending on Father’s Day (June 21).

A VISION BANQUET is scheduled for Sunday night, May 17, at 5:30. More details will come, but please put it on your calendar now!

VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL will have a different look this year: Sunday through Wednesday EVENING, May 31-June 3. And classes will not only be offered for children but for YOUTH and ADULTS as well!

That’s enough RAMBLING for today. (But we had a busy week!) I hope to see you Sunday! And I am sure that I will be experiementing with the length and format of this for the next several weeks. Your feedback is welcome. Again, if you don’t want to receive it, simply reply with the word UNSUBSCRIBE. Feel free to forward this to someone and ask if they received it already. If not, have them send me an email so I can add their email address to my list.

I love being in Atlanta at Clairmont Hills Baptist Church!

Fred O. Pitts
Pastor, Clairmont Hills Baptist Church
1995 Clairmont Road
Decatur, GA
404.634.6231
www.clairmonthills.org

No comments: