Friday, June 13, 2008

A Father's Reflections

King David wrote many words that have ministered to the souls of countless people over the centuries--some of my favorites are found in Psalm 1, 19, 23, 32, 51, and 103, to name a few off the top of my head--but one phrase that has come to mean more and more to me in the past few months is a simple verse that resonates deeply in my soul because I have come to realize just how closely I identify with it. It comes from Psalm 16:

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
Surely I have a delightful inheritance.

I can imagine David looking out from his palace, knowing that he was king of all that his eyes could survey--and more--and becoming overcome with gratitude as he thought back to how he had been blessed by God as he considered his beginnings as a simple shepherd boy.

While I don't possess silver or gold nor will I ever know what it is like to be the leader of great multitudes, still I share with David the sentiment, when I pause to consider my half century sojourn here: "The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places."

I look back over the 27 years Cindy and I have been married and the way she has always been such an enhancement to my life and ministry. I think of the dreams she was willing to put aside to become a pastor's wife and the stay-at-home mother of five children. When I think of all of the volunteer work that she has put in at the churches where I have pastored and the credit I have received for her work, I can only say, "The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places."

When I think of the five beautiful children God has given us and the life we have lived, I am truly blessed. Making the decision to home school our children helped give our family more time together than we would have otherwise had. Thinking back to Fridays--when I was off from work and we could do projects or go on "field trips"--a multitude of memories flood my mind and warm my heart. Likewise, I can still hear in my memory today the giggles of girls hiding from their father at lunchtime and the plea to "sleep with me for one mo mo minute"; I can recall the delight of reading books at night and saying good night prayers. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places.

Just weeks ago we went on our usual trek to St. Augustine for vacation. The whole family was there--the seven of us plus our wonderful son-in-law and Cindy's always generous parents. For some, ten family members together for an entire week is a recipe for disaster; for us, it was a delightful time of rest and relaxation. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places.

As Father's Day approaches, I cannot but be moved again by the love and devotion of these five--er, six--Hannah, Lydia, Abigail, Rebekah, Fred O, and son-in-law, Rick. Hannah never lets a Sunday go by without telling me how much she enjoyed my sermon. (So, yes, there are times when a "little white lie" is appreciated, though she is adamant that she is telling the truth.) Just this past week, her husband Rick called me to ask how I might answer someone who asked certain questions about faith in God. He is a serious and growing Christian. Lydia continues to mature and plans to attend seminary when she completes her final year of college. She often engages me, too, in discussions about faith. Abigail still confides in me what is going on in her life and asks for my counsel about many different areas of life. Rebekah has such patience with me even though she is 17 and doesn't have a car of her own to drive. She is very respectful, even when I say no to a request. Fred O still will hang out with me and doesn't mind telling me he loves me even when others are around--and he turned 15 this year. These are just small tidbits of what I could write about my family. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places.

Although I may some days wish that I had more to provide for my children, I truly believe that faith in Jesus is the most important thing to give them. As I pastor, I have taught it to others. As a dad, together with Mom, we have let it be more than religious talk. As I have said before, I can say again, for it is still true today--and I hope it will continue--all of my children today are walking with and following Jesus. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places.

While I hope that one day I will have something to leave to my children, the truth is, they are already an inheritance to me that I enjoy every day of my life.

Yes, David spoke for me when he praised the Lord. I could not improve on it at all:

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
Surely I have a delightful inheritance.

I praise the Lord for His wonderful blessing to me, particularly this wonderful family!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad, I love you. I am so blessed by our wonderful relationship and I love how you have welcomed Rick into our family. I am thankful every day for you. You're the best. (And I REALLY do enjoy your sermon's every week. This series in John is especially good)

Fred O. Pitts said...

You're the best!

Abigail said...

Oh dad. I love you so much. MY boundary lines have fallen in wonderful places. Praise God for you and mom as my parents. I can't even imagine what my life would be like without two godly examples to follow all my life thus far. I love you both very much. You touch my heart when you share. I love you dad. So much.

Abigail

Fred O. Pitts said...

Love you, too!

Anonymous said...

I can not thank God enough for the way you write out what you are feeling and thinking. With all these girls especially, it is so important. But I am also realizing that it is important to guys too! I could not have imagined a better dad for our children!
Love you
Cindy